I have been Bible journaling for a year. One whole year diving into God’s Word in a new and creative way.
What is Bible journaling?
Bible journaling is spending time in God’s Word and recording what you learn in a creative way either in your Bible or journal . Someone I was talking to recently said, “Oh, is it kind of like Bible scrapbooking?” I loved that description because it is a way to document your journey and walk with the Lord.
Why do I love Bible journaling?
- I dig deep into God’s Word. It has been monumental for me to think about the passages I read in a different way. I cannot just read a few verses and put a check next to “read Bible” in my planner. Through Bible journaling I get the opportunity to think about how I will illustrate and paint what God is teaching me in a passage. Oftentimes I need to reread the verses to think about how to express them visually. Using the creative prompts in our devotionals helps me think about scripture in a deeper way, as well.
- Scripture sticks in my head more. I am such a visual learner. Painting, drawing, using stickers and stamps has helped me remember scripture better. I remember painting feathers on Psalm 91 to represent us climbing under His wings. Nehemiah built a giant wall which shows us God is a big god with big plans for our lives. I remember that because I painted a huge two-page spread of a brick wall. Writing and drawing the verses in different ways helps it stick in our minds.
- I delight in spending time with the Lord. You can read my testimony a bit more here, but I have grown up around the church and Bible. It wasn’t until high school that I started reading it on my own, but I have never been super consistent. Through this last year of Bible journaling, I have dug deep into the Word of God more consistently than ever before. I feel a craving to dive into what He can teach me through the Bible.
- Beautiful fellowship with others! Getting to teach and share about Bible journaling has been a great way for me to connect with other people. Through giving workshops, to even just painting and reading with my mom in the bonus room, I have gotten to know people on a deeper level through Bible journaling. Getting together with girlfriends and family while we share about the word of God? Nothing better than that!
- I get to use my gifts and talents. God made me a creative person. I truly believe He made us all that way because we are all made in His image. I love using my creativity when I spend time with Him.
Take a flip through my Bible here!
Would you like to join us?
Contact us if you would like more information about hosting a workshop for your family, friends, small group, or church. Or grab a prayer journal or Bible devotional from our Etsy shop here and get started.